Are you tired of seeing trash at your favorite outdoor spots?
We’re partnering with our friends at Friends of the Verde River to host a virtual trash pick-up challenge! This challenge, to be held July 5-12, encourages the greater Verde Valley community to pick up as much trash as possible from along our waterways and other vital habitats within the Verde Watershed.
Did you know that the Oak Creek Watershed is part of the Verde River Watershed? Because the Verde River is connected to communities through tributaries such as Oak Creek, Granite Creek, Watson Lake, Beaver Creek, Clear Creek, East Verde River, and countless washes, any cleanup effort in these areas will benefit the Verde River and make a difference all over the watershed.
Want to participate? Please join in the fun and help us keep our beautiful natural areas clean and purdy (#PurdyVerde)! Everyone can enjoy this opportunity to show some love to our beloved wild places while you are out recreating. We ask all participants to do the following:
1. Pick your favorite spot near you and pick up trash between July 5th-12th.
2. Safely pick up as much trash as possible! We ask that you practice social distancing and go out during less frequented times. Please have the proper safety and sanitation items.
3. Share photos and video by email (email@example.com) or post them to social media using the hashtag #PurdyVerde. Be sure to tag the location as well.
4. Share the approximate weight of your trash haul and how many hours you volunteered.
What Should I Bring?
2. Trash bags
3. Trash picker
4. Water (it’s hot out there!)
5. Tarp/straps (optional to secure trash in a truck bed)
6. Hand sanitizer
Where Should I Go?
We aim to have a watershed-wide cleanup. Go anywhere within the Verde watershed, all the way from Paulden to Prescott, Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona, through the Verde Valley and down towards Phoenix. If you need ideas, check out the map here.
What Should I Do with The Trash I Picked Up?
The best option is to take it with you and dispose of it in your own household trash, as public trash bins can get pretty full. For oversized items that you cannot take, it would be helpful to leave them by bins, photograph them, and share with Friends of the Verde River or the land managers at your location.
What is the Reward for Participating?
You can enjoy the satisfaction of a good deed! But Friends of the Verde River will also select a random social media participant to win a goodie bag full of stickers, magnets, and more!
Where Can I Rent A Boat?
Friends of the Verde River has teamed up with two great local outfitters – Verde River Adventure and Adventure Encounter – to bring you discounts on self-guided tours. Please contact the outfitters directly and ask them about the #PurdyVerde cleanup discount.
· Verde Adventures: sedonaadventuretours.com